So what makes this carrot cake granola? Well I did a very quick google search for carrot cake and looked at the top 5 or so recipes to see what all carrot cakes have in common and it appears that what makes up carrot cake is: carrots (duh), cinnamon, raisins, nuts, a grain and a sweetener. So I set out to make a simple healthy breakfast version of this delicious combination of flavors.
While eating cake for breakfast is perfectly acceptable in my opinion, I understand that it probably should not be an everyday occurance. So I decided that granola might be the way to go. And do you know that the average granola is loaded with sugar – I mean a box I stumbled upon had a whopping 11 grams of sugar per half cup! But that is so not Simple Kitchen style…
So this recipe is much healthier than a store bought granola, it’s super easy to make and guess what else? Your house will smell amazing for hours after baking! Need another reason to make this? Then take a look at those chunks, yum!
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup oat flour - see notes
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup pecans
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey (sub maple syrup or agave for vegan version)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat the oil, honey, vanilla in a pan until oil is completely melted. Add this mixture to the bowl and mix well.
- Bake 20-25 min at 350.
- Let cool completely and serve!