However, since I began eating a plant-based diet that focuses on real food, I have to say my sweet tooth has declined dramatically. A lot of times a piece of fruit will do and there’s no more eating sweets just because they are there… I’m happy to say goodbye to the days of eating a full pint of Ben & Jerry’s <- Yes, that happened. More than I’d like to admit…
But let’s get real, every girl needs her chocolate every once in a while!!! This recipe is so easy and I’ve never eaten a store bought bar that tastes as good – and you can make sure it’s not full of ingredients you don’t want when you make it at home! I pretty much always have some of this ready to go in my freezer so that when I do need a fix, I can make sure I have a high quality and delicious option. Although, I will admit I enjoyed the first few batches so much that they didn’t last very long…
One thing to note however, is that this is best kept in the freezer as it does loose it’s texture at room temperature. So make a batch, throw it in the freezer and pull out before you are ready to nibble. Once you make this, you’ll never look at a store bought chocolate bar the same again!
Indulge my friends,
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao butter - see notes
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups raw cacao powder - see notes
- ¼ cup maple syrup (can use honey or agave as well)
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Coarse sea salt
- Place coconut oil and cacao butter in a small sauce pan. Melt to a liquid over low heat.
- Remove from heat and mix in vanilla, raw cacao powder and syrup until combined. Then mix in coconut flakes.
- Pour in a shallow dish lined with parchment or wax paper. I used a 7×7 baking pan.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes to give it a little time to harden. Remove and sprinkle with sea salt and then freeze for another 10-15 minutes.
- Peel away from paper and cut into bars, squares, triangles or whatever shape you want!
- Serve immediately or keep in freezer for later use!