I usually feel like cornbread needs to be served with something (as noted in my chile and black bean cornbread muffin recipe). But this bread can be enjoyed right out of the oven – and you can bet your bottom dollar that that’s exactly what I did :).
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup almond flour (can sub in regular all purpose or another gluten free flour of choice with varied results)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup honey (can sub maple syrup or agave)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 Tbsp warm water)
- 1 cup almond milk (sub soy for nut free version)
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- Optional: ½ tsp cinnamon & all spice for a spiced version and 1 cup of corn for texture
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder (and cinnamon & all spice if using) in a bowl.
- In a small sauce pan combine honey and coconut oil and heat until oil is melted. Remove from heat and mix in flax egg, almond milk & pumpkin puree.
- Add oil mixture to dry ingredients and mix well (I used a large fork rather than hand blender). Add in corn (if using) and mix until well combined.
- Scoop cornbread mixture into two small oiled bread pans (or one 7X7 square dish) and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked through. Time may vary depending on the pan you use.
- Cool, remove from pan and serve.