I’ve always really loved ceviche and was exposed to some amazing new types in Colombia. However, since I usually don’t cook with any meat or fish at home, I decided to create a little twist on the classic fish dish…
We had an beautiful Airbnb in the incredible city of Cartagena. To be honest, this city kinda stole my heart! It’s a romantic colonial walled city with so.much.charm. – literally every corner was photo worthy! I have to admit, it was a little tough to find the time to cook at home with all the delicious (and adorable) restaurants in town. And the fruit, I mean wow! Fresh fruit street stands were on every corner flaunting beautiful colors and exotic fruits for rock bottom prices. I literally couldn’t stop!
Anyway, I did manage to get myself away from the fruit stands to whip up this super simple dish. It begins by mixing onions with lime and cilantro and letting it marinate for a bit to help break down the onions.
Meanwhile, you can cube the avocado and mango and then all that’s left is to mix well and serve. This dish literally takes no more than 15 minutes (although you can let it sit longer to allow the flavors to set) and only uses 7 simple ingredients!
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 limes, juiced (divided)
- ¼ cup cilantro, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1-2 avocados, cubed
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Place onion, lime juice (from 2-3 limes), cilantro, olive oil and a dash of salt in a bowl. Mix well and set aside. Add more lime juice if onions aren't completely covered.
- Meanwhile, cube the avocado and mango. Once the onions have marinated for 10 minutes, mix in the fruit, add juice of 1-2 more limes and olive oil.
- Mix well, taste and add salt, pepper and cilantro as needed. You can also add some red pepper flakes for a little spice.