One day I came across these beautiful purple potatoes. With no plan in mind, I purchased them. They sat around the house for a few days while I pondered what to do with them. And then I got the idea to make a gorgeous potato salad! After I made it I realized this could absolutely be done with beets as well if potatoes aren’t your thing… but how could these beauties not be your thing?!
But of course this is not your average mayonnaise laden potato salad – Scott actually refers to my face when I don’t like things as my “mayonnaise face.” You know, that face you make when see your least favorite food in the world? Yep, that’s your mayonnaise face. So that being said, there is obviously no mayonnaise found in my Simple Kitchen…
Not only is this salad SUPER easy because you can do all the prep while the potatoes are boiling but it’s also unique in flavor and in color. Purple + white + green = what?! It’s kind of like a little art experiment in your kitchen
- 3 purple potatoes (mine were about the size of a small sweet potato) - can sub other type of potato or roast beets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 celery stalks, diced - refer to photo to see size
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced - refer to photo to see size
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon, about ¼ cup
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- ¼ cup dill, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 15 minutes or until tender. Note: cooking times may vary if you are using another type of potato.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a food processor and mixing well. Taste and add additional spices or liquid as needed. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Heat and then add leeks, chickpeas, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until leeks are cooked through and both leeks and chickpeas begin to brown. Set aside.
- Once potatoes are done, drain and rinse with cold water. When you are able to handle, remove skin, and cut into small cubes.
- Combine potatoes, cucumbers, celery, chickpea/leek mixture and dressing in a bowl and mix well. Taste and add any additional spices. I ended up adding a little more salt and pepper and threw in a dash of red pepper flakes as well.