When Honey Crisp apples show up in the produce section, I do a little happy dance. They really are just the BEST apples out there! So when I saw them for the first time this season, I went a little overboard and bought a whole bag…
I have made many-a-apple crisp’s in my day but I got inspired to try out a new version using salted carmel. However, since I prefer not to use refined sugar when cooking at home, I had to get clever…. Enter date carmel, yum!
- 1 cup soft Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup almond milk, plus extra for desired texture
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup roughly chopped pecans
- pinch sea salt
- ⅓ cup packed honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Make caramel sauce by putting the dates, sea salt, lemon juice, almond milk, vanilla and 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Combine oats, cinnamon, almond meal and pecans in a bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, heat remaining 2 Tbsp coconut oil and honey until it becomes liquid. Add in vanilla and then mix into dry ingredients until well mixed.
- In a baking dish, make a layer of apples and spread caramel sauce over it. Repeat until apples and caramel are gone.
- Place oat mixture on top and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes or until apples are cooked through and the top is browned.