I was introduced to spiced nuts a few years ago after reading The Sweet Life in Paris for my book club, as it was one of the recipes in the book. If we ever read a book with a theme, we often try to create the food for book club around that theme – so naturally we made recipes from The Sweet Life in Paris when we met that month… And yes, we ‘sat shiva’ and enjoyed latkes when we met after reading This is Where I Leave You
Until that moment, I had NO idea that making plain old nuts taste fabulous could be so easy! Over the years I have played around with making different styles of spiced nuts from sweet versions to curry spiced to more savory styles. But it wasn’t until I visited a girlfriend’s house for wine club – I know, I have a lot of clubs – that I tasted the best version yet! I immediately asked her to send me the recipe she used and then went about my veganizing ways!
These nuts are so easy, so tasty and will please any crowd. And the best news about them is that you only need 15 minutes, 9 simple ingredients (which may be in your cabinet right now, hint hint) and they are free of dairy and sugar, which you will often times find in other spiced nut recipes.
Ho ho ho,
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 small shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- ¼ cup rosemary
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp all spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup for vegan version)
- 5 cups mixed nuts (I bought roasted and salted)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil on a pan. Add shallots and garlic and cook until golden (about 5 min).
- Meanwhile, combine rosemary and spices.
- Once shallots are done, add shallots, spices, honey and nuts into a bowl (or on a baking sheet to save yourself a dish). Mix well and bake about 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool and serve.