I don’t know about you, but every time I have lemonade I am brought right back to my childhood. It always reminds me of the warm summer days I spent in Southern California… and of course my first attempt at being an entrepreneur
As much as I do enjoy lemonade, I rarely order it because it tends to be loaded with sugar. But in Colombia, it seemed to be everywhere so I jumped on the bandwagon. And I have to say, I was very surprised at how good lemonade can be without a ton of sweetener. So during our brief time at home (when I had access to a blender), I had to test out my hand at making a variation.
This recipe uses only 4 all natural ingredients + water and ice and as long as you’ve got a decent blender on hand, you can whip it up in just as many minutes!
The first time I tried it I actually made it with basil and it tasted just as delicious so feel free to use whatever herb you have on hand. I’m dreaming of a rosemary version as I write…
I hope you enjoy this super fresh and healthy beverage. Want a little extra punch? Throw in an ounce or two of your favorite vodka!
- 2 whole lemons, rind removed (I just cut off with a knife, a little of the white portion is ok)
- 2 inches ginger, peeled
- 1 cup mint (basil, rosemary, etc.)
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp honey (sub agave for vegan version - can add more if you prefer it a little sweeter)
- 1 cub club soda
- 10-15 ice cubes
- Combine lemon, ginger, mint, water and honey in a high speed blender and mix well.
- Add club soda to blender and pulse once or twice more. Taste and add more honey, ginger, mint or water as needed.
- Pour lemon mixture into cups over ice, dividing evenly. (Note: you may want to pour through a strainer if you are not using a high speed blender).