Because there are some days when you just need something really warm and hearty… And as you guys read this, I am exploring the glaciers of Patagonia so I could really use this dish! Not only is this warm and cozy but it leaves you satisfied (maybe even wanting more) and is suitable for vegans and those who are gluten free!
Check! The rich thick stew and light creamy polenta are an absolute match made in heaven. And if you don’t have ramekins to make individual servings, you can always make a larger version in a shallow dish so it is more like a casserole.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 lb lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 7 oz can of tomato sauce
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 bunch chard, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, celery, carrots and smoked paprika, coriander and oregano and cook for 5-7 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add lentils, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and vegetable broth to the pot and simmer until lentils are cooked through - approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare polenta according to package directions.
- Once lentils are cooked through, add chard, salt and pepper. Taste and add more seasonings as needed.
- To prepare cups, place lentil stew in a ramekin until about ⅔ full. Top with polenta and serve.