I much prefer nachos with refried beans because refried beans are bomb – and super fun to scoop up with chips. So one day while dreaming about nachos, I thought how great the flavor combo would be of sweet potatoes and refried beans… You know those ideas that sound good in theory and end up even better in practice – yeah this is one of those! These nachos can easily be made with regular chips but trust me, the sweet potato chips add a whole new level of goodness.
Simply bake the chips, heat the beans and cheese and pile high. Of course you can add in any additional toppings you’d like…
- Olive oil spray
- 2-3 small sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 oz) refried black beans
- 1.5 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup vegan nacho cheese (more if desired) - see notes
- 1 cup guacamole - see notes
- ⅓ cup pickled jalapenos - or fresh if you are a champ!
- cilantro for garnish
- SIMPLIFICATION STEP - Use pre-made chips and nacho sauce
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet (or two) with the thinly sliced sweet potatoes. You want them in a single layer, not overlapping. Spray with olive oil and lightly salt both sides. Bake for 15 minutes, turn and bake for another 15 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are brown and crispy).
- Meanwhile, heat refried beans in a pot on medium to low until warm. If using a cheese that needs to be heated, heat cheese as well.
- Once chips are done, place a single layer on a plate, top with a layer of refried beans, cabbage and jalapenos. Repeat until ingredients are gone. Then top with a drizzle of vegan cheese and a dallop of guacamole.
- Open a cold beer and enjoy!